- First Spanish aeronautics company to commit to net zero emissions by 2050, as part of this initiative
- ITP Aero to achieve net zero carbon emissions in its operations by 2030
ITP Aero has joined the United Nations Race to Zero campaign through the Business Ambition to 1.5 ºC programme, by which it commits to becoming carbon neutral by 2050. As a first step towards this goal, the company will become net zero carbon in its operations by 2030. This environmental commitment forms part of ITP Aero’s plan to promote its technology with an impact on sustainable development and to play a leading role towards a net zero aviation industry.
As part of the Race to Zero programme, ITP Aero is to reduce its Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions in accordance with measurable and science-based targets in order to contribute to restricting global warming to a maximum of 1.5ºC. This commitment is in line with the UN 2030 Agenda and the Paris Agreement, as well as the Science Based Target initiative (SBTi).
As part of this commitment, ITP Aero will:
- Continue its investment in research & development (R&D) in pursuit of ever more efficient products and sustainable solutions to meet the climate challenge and participate in decarbonising the global economy.
- Make the most of ITP Aero’s pull effect on local value supply chain to promote decarbonisation on supplier operations.
- Promote collaboration across company stakeholders towards sustainable growth activities with clear positive impact on local communities.
- Publish a roadmap as part of its future strategy setting out a pathway to enabling net zero carbon emissions by 2050.
The overall and more specific objectives to reduce emissions submitted by ITP Aero will be independently assessed and validated by the technical experts of the SBTi in accordance with what the climate scientists deem necessary to fulfil the targets of the Paris Agreement. Once agreed, the company will report how it’s progressing towards the objectives on an annual basis.
Carlos Alzola, CEO of ITP Aero, commented that: “ITP Aero pursues clean, safe and competitive propulsion systems towards a sustainable aviation industry. Covid-19 crisis in the aeronautics sector has made clear that decarbonisation is now more urgent than ever. We are determined to use our position as a leading industrial technology company to play a relevant role in achieving net zero carbon emissions by 2050.”
About ITP Aero
ITP Aero is a world leading company within its market, currently the ninth largest aircraft engine and components company in the world by revenue. Ranking among the top one hundred companies in the aerospace industry. The company employs 3,600 people at its production centres in Spain, United Kingdom, Mexico, Malta and India.
ITP Aero includes among its activities the design, research and development, manufacturing and casting, assembly and testing of aeronautical modules and engines. It also provides MRO services for a wide range of engines for regional airlines, business aviation, helicopters, industrial and defense applications. ITP Aero operates as a corporate entity within the Rolls-Royce group.
Fuente: ITP Aero